the melodrama of my life

Sunday, August 05, 2007

London: I adore the GPS inventor

Although I had too much (good) 15bucks-a-plate duck and char siew rice, was almost pickpocketed by some unskilled man (I actually felt his hand in my bag) and literally flew in the aircraft for the first time (scary shit), my last trip was the first time I was excited to go London on work.

5 of us (4 drivers)- Road trip to Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor
Vehicle- Rented Toyota GPS Prius

First stop, Stonehenge. The historyless stones that were barriered are really out-of-nowhere on a vast piece of land. They were not interesting so the fun remains in the how-the-hell-does-this-GPS-works and driving-at-150kmh-but-every-car-is-still-taking-over-us drive.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Anyone knows the speed limit in London?

Our second stop was Bath. Like Heidelberg & Rudeshiem in Germany, Bath is small beautiful old town, ideal for retirement. There was this really odd river with amazingly strong water current running over ‘steps’, with no obvious use or meaning or history behind it.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Anyone knows the purpose of this?

By the time we got to our final stop, Windsor, the castle was closed. So we didn’t manage to see the Queen and her family, and her famous Doll’s house. Anyone knows if the Queen actually lives there? Does she shuttle between Windsor and Buckingham Palace?

Anyway I think the 2 of the drivers who drove (not me) were pretty lousy at following instructions.
• We missed almost all the turns and exits, and Ms GPS has to lead us to the long countryside way with beautiful old houses.
• We confused Ms GPS by going round the roundabout and went to the opposite direction of her command.

But, she was smart and patient.
• Her commands went from ‘turn left on the third exit of the roundabout’ once to twice; at the exit, she had to say ‘turn left now’; and she will tell us to 'continue on the current road' whenever she senses that we were a bit unsure.
• Every time we go the wrong way, she would pause, sometimes the GPS hangs but all will be well again after some reorientation.

I’ve another London coming up on 5th Sept and I was all eager to give it away for a Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Zurich. Unfortunately, my impulsive shopping needs me to go back to London to settle some issues my new expensive bag has stirred up.

An update: My holiday plan to NYC is cancelled cos the flight(s) are all suddenly fully booked with a long waiting list. So is Barcelona, and Manchester and Athens. SQ making a hell lot of money! Looks like I might have to stay in Singapore.

Next up: scenic Cape town!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home